Monday, June 8, 2009

Winds Of Grace

Excerpted from my Letters To His Beloved


WINDS OF GRACE
I awoke today and looked around,
As the sun shone upon a wearied ground.
No flower’s beauty blessed the earth this day,
And the grass that remained was brown and gray.

The water was dark with the stain of her blood,
Which ran from the earth as the ash and the mud.
Upon the ground I could see her anguish and pain,
Because the land it was parched and it thirsted for rain.

Around us the heat scorched all of the land,
As many a foot trod upon earth, upon sand.
I turned to the heavens my eyes toward the sky,
And I saw not a tear for her eyes were too dry.

Her days had been few and her life not very long,
Yet she gave what we took and she was no longer strong.
Where once she was radiant a blue sapphire in space,
She was now bent over and frail, with a wrinkled old face.

I thought to myself she is weak and she’s ill,
So I prayed for her healing if it were God’s will.
I then dropped to my knees and I cried out in pain,
That grace would flow from my Lord like the sweet springtime rain.

When my prayers were finished I heard a sound so fierce,
I feared this spear from hell that my mind it would pierce.
There in the chaos I heard the roar of the beast,
Come shrieking and howling, the wind from the East.

It blew down the houses and left some of the trees,
Not a creature could fly not the gulls not the bees.
The dust of the earth blew across all of the land,
And before this mighty wind almost nothing could stand.

When I beheld the result it took my breath away,
For the destruction was massive on that horrible day.
What was left of what I had loved from the most to the least,
Was taken away in the wrath of the beast from the East.

As I prayed once again I heard the scream from the West,
On the wind came the water that soaked the earth’s breast.
Nothing escaped the dragon with feet made of mud,
Little survived the fury of the West wind and her flood.

What had not been destroyed by the winds from the East,
Was now under the water and it was the devil’s feast.
I could not understand when so little was there,
It would be taken this way as the result of my prayer.

So I prayed again with tears flowing from my heart and my mouth,
Then the fires came upon the wind form the South.
I could not move an inch in this terror and fright,
As the fires burned they consumed all that was in sight.

The fires drank up the waters from off of the ground,
There was nothing of value left to be found.
It burned a hole in my heart and consumed even the air,
The heat overwhelmed me and I fell in despair.

For one more time I prayed for the Lord to step forth,
Then I heard the whisper of the wind from the North.
And the three winds were stilled they were bound up as one,
Then the Earth stood still and bowed its head to the sun.

Then from the ground grew up the most magnificent feast,
From the seeds that traveled on the winds from the East.
I saw the most beautiful streams, upon which my eyes would rest,
From the living water that came on the winds from the West.

The life giving warmth came from the word of the earth’s mouth,
That came from the fires upon the winds from the South.
Finally the symphony stopped when all had been done,
And the winds from the North made all of life as one.

As the winds my beloved come into your day,
Remember always of the blessings they bring your way.
For the Lord who in mercy turns toward you His face,
And your healing’s begun on the winds of His grace.

No comments: